Saturday, May 17, 2008

Scalpal please....

After years of schooling and several office jobs, I realized that I was completely unqualified for anything that I actually want to do. I didn't want to get stuck in another administrative/secretarial job, hating my life and wishing I could do something different. So instead, I quit my horrendous accounting job, and decided to look into nursing schools. I ended up taking a Certified Nursing Assistant training course, and passed my state tests a few weeks later. Then I took a Phlebotomy class and learned how to draw blood samples.

But as I started looking for jobs, I found that most of my options as a CNA were in nursing homes and long-term care facilities. But on a whim, I applied for a Medical Assistant job at a place called Peak Otolaryngology. With a lot of luck, and as a huge blessing, I got the job.

My first day was Thursday, and I have realized that taking a chance and doing something completely different has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I only have to work 4 days a week, no weekends, no holidays. My benefits are paid for in full by the clinic, and I get free lunch EVERY DAY. Plus, if the physicians are done for the day, the medical assistants are done for the day. On Friday I got off work at 3:45. And they buy all my scrubs for me. It's amazing. Plus, it's a huge step above being a CNA, and it's the most incredible training and experience that I could get. I'm learning how to do CT scans, process blood samples, assist during surgeries, give allergy shots, etc. etc. And now I actually get to do something all day that doesn't make me want to shove a pen in my eye and throw my swivel chair out the window.

It's been amazing already. And now I can start nursing school part-time, and still have a full-time job. Perfect.

2 comments:

Jessa said...

shanna, i wish i could be brave like you and just dive into something so new to me. i'm so happy for you, you've found something that makes you happy. i hate the thought of throwing the swivel chair out the window, i feel like that all the time. i don't currently have a job but all i've been looking for is lame office jobs and i'm so sick of it and i haven't even taken any of the jobs. what do i do?

The Coons Family said...

That is so cool. That would be so fun. Too bad the sight of blood makes me pass out... so wouldn't be the best job for me :-( But next time I need my blood drawn and I'm in the area, I'll call you up!!! haha