Friday, September 26, 2008

A-NNOY-ING

One of the things I can't stand, so I know my mom can't stand it either, is how people react whenever I say that my younger siblings are home schooled. Yeah, there is a stereotype of home school children...anti-social weirdos who smell a little, and are three years behind in their educations. So I find myself ALWAYS defending my mom's choice. They are NOT your typical home school kids, and my mom does NOT use the typical methods of teaching. I know few women who could actually pull it off the way my mom does, so I do take it a little personally every time someone scowls, or makes a comment, or asks if they are weird because of it. If people could only understand the million reasons why it's better to home school when it's done right, I think the reactions wouldn't be so blatantly rude. My mom is the smartest woman I know, regardless of "education" level. And she is the teacher I wish I could have had during my time in school...she actually cares, lets you learn at your own pace and in your own way, allows for curiosity, AND actually finds truthful answers to questions. Plus she likes doing it, so she's not the mean old teacher who's been doing the job for 30 years and hates kids. I guess the criticism will never stop, but it's worth putting up with, rather than putting more children through the awful public school system that's not teaching about God anymore, that now teaches homosexuality, that gives detention for EVERYTHING but only to the kids who don't deserve it, that stereotypes kids at age 10 and treats them accordingly for the rest of their school career, and that does not care at all about individual learning as long as the WASL and IOWA test scores are high enough...I'm gonna say that my "weird home schooled" siblings are way better off.

3 comments:

mamagale said...

Go Shanna! You knew I would HAVE to comment on this subject. A very good book on the subject is "Dumbing Us Down" by John Taylor Gatto. A quote: "Put kids in a class and they will live out their lives in an invisible cage, isolated from their chance at community; interrupt kids with bells and horns all the time and they will learn that nothing is important; force them to plead for the natural right to the toilet and they will become liars and toadies; ridicule them and they will retreat from human association; shame them and they will find a hundred ways to get even."

mamagale said...

Just one more thing...to be honest, your younger siblings are a little weird--and smelly. But it has nothing to do with being home schooled--you older kids who went to public school were the same way ;)

Jan said...

Shanna, You make some good points--but there are PLENTY of good things happening in public schools, just like there are PLENTY of not-so-great things happening in some home schools. Much as I would like to debate this with you, opinions are rarely changed through debate... :-)