Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Shanna-isms

Last night Siara and I were reminiscing about some people of our past and couldn't remember someone's name, so we dug into my hope chest to find a middle school yearbook to solve the dilemma.

During the rummaging I unearthed my many journals that I've kept over the years. When I say many I mean like 12 full books. I was a pretty avid record keeper in my days. We couldn't resist, and cracked open a few to hear what I had to say. The high school ones are undoubtedly hilarious. Page after page of I love this boy, no it's that boy, I'm so mad at this friend, I love my friends so much I would die without them, my family doesn't understand me, I never want to leave home I love my family so much. You know. Average teenage woes.

But the real gem is from 1992, barely 5 year old Shanna, not even in Kindergarten yet and my mom would dictate whatever I asked her to write for me. Within a year or two that journal morphed into me writing by myself, and that's where the quotes really get just unbelievable. So I'll share a few excerpts in the blog here for all to enjoy. And just to bear my witness of the joy of keeping journals!


March 24, 1992
"I was mad because I wanted to color in the book Siara had-even though she gave me a new one to color in myself. So Mom swatted my bottom and had me to go my room and think about being thankful for what I have."


I think my mom may have taken some liberties with that entry. And also the one where she wrote on February 19, 1993 "I pouted and cried all morning because I got up too early and I was grumpy." hahaha

Thank you for keeping my records accurate, Mom. =)

2 comments:

mamagale said...

I only have glowing memories of you being sweet and adorable--I guess the record shows there were some rough days. Let's see some of the happy Shanna entries! Oh, and yay me for pushing the journal dictating/writing--I'm not sure how we fit that in back in those crazy days but so glad we did.

Nicole said...

hahaha i love this. i want to do this for my kids too! it's fun to see what your mind was like when you were that age!