Monday, May 2, 2011

Don't Sweat It

As a recovering chronic wearer of sweats in public, (5 years clean!) I greatly appreciated this article.

During said phase of my life, my sister in particular was horrified by my complete lack of regard for my appearance.

I have since tried to be the opposite of that girl. I have tried to take some pride in how I look, knowing it is a reflection of who I am and how I feel about myself. And I've taken some inspiration from the women leaders of our church. I've never seen Julie Beck looking anything less than polished and refined. It's not about vanity or buying expensive clothes or spending hours in front of a mirror. Just looking like you kind of have it together, even when you don't.

When I found out I was pregnant, I knew how easy it could be for me to fall into the sweats slump again. I wear scrubs to work, so my day is spent in what essentially feels like pajamas. I could easily go from scrubs to workout clothes to pajamas each day. {Or just scrubs to pajamas.} So I set a goal to wear jeans for at least an hour every single day of my pregnancy. What better gauge for how you're taking care of your body than how your jeans fit, right? Try squeezing into a pair of old jeans and all you want to eat is celery for a month. On the other hand, just put on a pair of comfy old pajamas or sweats and try to NOT eat ice cream.

So for better or worse, I am a recovering sweatpants addict and I hope to remain in remission. I'll give myself a couple of weeks after childbirth for some guiltless lounging. Even then, I'll try to make them some halfway decent yoga pants.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ha ha I love this!! and as an avid anti-sweats person I commend you in your strong will ha ha! but after baby mason comes for sure give yourself a well deserved break :). sure love ya!!

Jessa said...

Not going to lie. I love my sweats.
I'm not even married yet. I should NEVER find myself in sweats. How will I ever find a husband in those unattractive monstrocities.

xo