Friday, May 31, 2013

How to do the ridiculous hair bun

I had a couple requests from Instagram about doing a how to for this outrageous hair bun in these pictures.


I can't take credit for this bun in any way, a million girls are way trendier than me and have been doing it for ages. And my sister is the one who taught me how to do it when she was here visiting a few weeks ago. So here's a really probably not great tutorial on how to achieve this. It's actually super easy, so there's not much to show! And don't mind the gross pictures of me sans make up. I did this before the babies woke up for the day.

You will need:
A brush
A hair elastic
4-6 bobby pins
Dry shampoo
Really dirty hair (If you want, I do this bun on days 6-9 of not washing)

STEP 1
Spray the heck out of your hair with dry shampoo. It helps give it volume and texture, which will help your hair hold the shape of the bun and give it a fuller look. 
This is day 6 hair so I already have a load of dry shampoo in it.
STEP 2
Make the highest ponytail you can imagine. Channel the 80's as much as possible, and make it higher than you think.

This picture was not high enough, I re-did it even higher but forgot to picture it. Basically put it right on the crown of your head.

STEP 3
Back comb the ponytail close to the base to poof up the volume, not too much though. This isn't Utah in the early 2000's.

STEP 4
Let the ponytail fall open from the center, you should look like Cousin It. From Addams Family. Does anyone still get that reference? I'm old.



STEP 5
Wrap large chunks of the ponytail at a time around the ponytail base and tuck the ends, pinning with bobby pins underneath and toward the center of your bun. You shouldn't need more than 4-6 bobby pins to do this. You can wrap the pieces tighter if you want a smaller bun. I like the huge bun.


I try to do a lot of the pinning toward the back, but try to hide the pins still so that the bun looks symmetrical all the way around.

STEP 6
Tuck any sticky outty pieces in. I always end up with some pieces doing this....


Usually I can just tuck them into the bun and they will stay down without extra pinning. But you can use a pin if you need to to control the flyaways.

And voila! A ridiculously giant bun right on top of your head! It's so easy and fast and looks more polished than a ponytail. It's a must for mommy life. And if you're like me and hate washing your hair, the bun can extend the life of your hair by a couple of days. 












1 comment:

Anna said...

I know who Cousin It is!

Also, I can't believe you wake up before your kids.