Monday, July 7, 2008

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

About six weeks ago, Austin and I decided to turn a little patch of dirt in our backyard into a garden. It was quite a task, since the previous occupation of this area was a landfill for prior tenants of our apartment. Treasures included an old fridge that still had food in it, including milk, two broken windshields, bags of cement, a hundred cigarette butts, and other unidentifiable objects we unearthed in the process. Plus the entire thing was overgrown with weeds. I wish I had taken a picture before, because the clean-up was a feat of miraculous proportions.
So after digging, fertilizing, planting, watering, tending, weeding, thinning, and a lot of praying, we have ourselves a little vegetable garden. Even though a couple of things we planted didn't grow at all, the things that did grow make up for it.
Here's a few pictures. I know it's just little, but I love it!














These are our strawberries. They're doing really well, but every time a strawberry even starts to grow, the robins eat them! So we have to net them if we want them to be more than just a bird feeder.

Our tomatoes have done exceptionally well, we're having a hard time keeping them tied to the cages


This is our corn...I don't know why, but it's just gone crazy growing back there! They say knee high by the 4th of July, but I think most of them were up to my hip by then.















And last week for Family Night, we finally planted my very favorite... PUMPKINS!!! They'll hopefully grow out of these three little mounds.

I'll make sure and update all of you after the big harvest! =)

5 comments:

The Coons Family said...

Holy Cow!! Talk about green thumb... Corn?? I don't even know how to keep a flower alive, let alone a whole garden... good job!

mamagale said...

Oh Shanna! I am so proud of you! What a nice little garden.

Jessa said...

I really can't even handle how jealous I am of your cute little garden. You've inspired me to get a husband, move into a house and make my own little garden. i think the milk and windshields were the reason your tomatoes have been growing so well. I read in a magazine once that spoiled milk and shattered glass are great for vine growing. ha ha i'm kidding.

Taffers Dawn said...

Yay for gardens!! I think that's awesome that ya'll have that. You are so cute!

Unknown said...

shanna this is looking so great!! i loved seeing it in person more though, i wouldn't mind seeing it again and eating a tomato, hehe. i love you and your cute little garden it really makes me smile, and i am seriously impressed.