Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Never actually out on my own

As of my graduation in December, I have been supposedly "cut off" from the wallet of my parents. It's been a harsh reality as I find out the costs of car insurance, health insurance, tuition, cell phone plans, etc. etc. There is no way to know how much your parents take care of you, until they're not doing it anymore. But the truth is, they are still taking care of me.
Just last week, they hooked up a trailer to their car, loaded up all of our wedding presents which they have been storing for us for two months, an amazingly nice couch, and loads of other great things they gave to us for free. Then they drove down from Washington to Utah, an unbearably bland and long drive, only getting 12 miles to the gallon because of the weight of the trailer. Then they came to our little apartment and unloaded all of our things for us. AND, after all of that, they bought us dinner every night they were in town and took us to Lagoon.
So I think "financially independent" is a very loose term for what I am. I still could never do anything without them, not only because of money, but because of how willing they are to take care of me in every way that I need. In the last years they have transitioned from being embarrassing, burdensome, fun-killing parents, to being my very best friends. And it wasn't them who changed to make that happen, it was me.
And I'm the luckiest daughter in the world.

2 comments:

tracy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Coons Family said...

I feel the SAME way!!! Although I am "cut off" they still help us out in so many ways... when my mom was here last weekend she took me grocery shopping...I couldn't have asked for anything better for my birthday!!!