Friday, February 22, 2013

10 Uses for Coconut Oil

I've briefly mentioned how much I love coconut oil and gotten lots of questions about how I use it. So here's a whole post dedicated to my favorite uses for this blessed substance!

{First to Sarah--I use the same coconut oil for everything. I just scoop some out of the container into a tupperware, then melt it down so it takes the shape of the new container and let it harden again. Then I keep it in my bathroom. It's all purpose! =)}

{And to Nicole--I get unsweetened coconut at Whole Foods in the bulk section. Sunflower also sold it in Utah, so I'm assuming most health food stores with a bulk foods will have it. Our Trader Joe's is really small, but they carry some pre-packaged kind that is realllly expensive. So bulk is the best if you can find it. I'm also looking into how to just buy a coconut and make my own. I'll get back to you on that!}

1) First and foremost right now because I'm pregnant, I use it for stretch mark prevention and for that awful itchy skin that accompanies growing a baby. Our homeopathic nutritionist told me that it's the oil most easily absorbed by human skin, so it gives amazing deep down moisturizing relief.

2) Make up remover. It's incredible how the tiniest bit will take off everything-waterproof eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow. I just rub a little onto my eyes and then use a cotton ball to wipe it off.

3) Facial moisturizer. I only do this a couple times a week because it's so heavy duty, and that's all I need. I wash my face with honey (an explanation for a different post) and then use apple cider vinegar toner and then  put on coconut oil. It's fabulous.

4) Deep hair conditioning. I only do this once every 6 months or so. You can melt it down and put it on just like that old school Neutrogena hot oil. Then wrap your head in saran wrap for 30 minutes then wash. It's so good for your scalp, and makes your locks completely luscious. Just be prepared to shampoo about four times to get it all out. It is oil after all. You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil (Melaluca) for extra scalp treatment, because it's anti-fungal. And it also smells amaaaazing.

5) A carrier for essential oils. When Mason gets a cold, instead of Vicks vapo rub I mix some Eucalyptus oil in with a few tablespoons of coconut oil and rub it on his chest. It can also be mixed with Lavendar to help babies sleep, and to calm soreness on their nose from a cold. It's also great for teething remedies like clove and grapefruit, and really just any essential oil you want to use.

6) Diaper rash treatment. When Mason had a horrible yeast diaper rash a few months ago, my sister in law told me that for my niece she had mixed Grapefruit Seed Extract (also incredible) with coconut oil and used that instead of a prescription medicine. It cleared up Mason's rash within two days. Now anytime he gets any kind of diaper irritation I use the coconut oil and it clears right up.

7) Cooking and baking. You can replace most oil or fat with coconut oil, and it won't even taste like coconut. I use it in our homemade bread, cinnamon rolls, cookies, even tortillas. And I'll cook Mason's eggs in a teaspoon of it instead of using cooking spray.

8) A dietary supplement. It's great to use as an external moisturizer, but your skin also benefits if you eat it. A spoonful a day can help with eczema and just general dry skin. I also stir a spoonful into Mason's oatmeal each morning to help him get good fat, since we don't give him cow's milk. Eating it also increases your good cholesterol and can help lower the bad because it contains lauric acid. It also helps regulate blood sugar and makes your liver more efficient, helping you burn fat, and it can help regulate thyroid function. Pretty amazing!

9) Chapstick. It's the best lip moisturizer I know of. And it's something I can put on Mason if he needs it and not worry about what he's ingesting.

10) Toothpaste. This is a new one I just started learning about. Studies are showing that the antibiotic properties of coconut oil will fight tooth decay and that it helps with calcium absorption, strengthening teeth. It's also been used for teeth whitening. Ohh how I love my teeth whitening. I'm going to try it this week and I will report back!

It's pretty amazing all the things one humble ingredient can do. There's loads of other things that I've read about but haven't tried yet, including homemade deodorant....hmm. I'm not sure my loyalty to coconut oil runs that deep.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Oil pulling for whitening? I brush norahs teeth with it a lot too!