Monday, February 18, 2013

Buyer's Remorse

I suffer from a very chronic and sometimes debilitating disease. The clinical term is "Remorsus Emptor". The layman's term is "Buyer's Remorse".

When I buy things I get home and I instantly want to return them. Sometimes I regret my purchase even as I'm swiping my card. I would estimate that I return 99% of any remotely frivolous purchase. This may seem like a good thing. A better thing would just be to not buy this crap in the first place. I would save a lot of time and gas money.

I'll admit it has gotten much better since I started thrifting, but I still have a form of it. I've gotten cheaper as a result so I regret anything I spent more than $5 on. So maybe that means it's actually gotten worse...

And since opening the Etsy shop I've discovered another form of this chronic illness.

"Seller's Remorse".

I love everything that I'm selling in the shop. I really wouldn't put it in there if I didn't love it. So whenever something sells I'm really excited, but instantly have a rush of sadness and regret that I have to send the lovely item away. It's kind of a problem.

When I'm listing things I'll think to myself "I love this. I really hope it doesn't sell, so I'm going to price it really high. I'd be willing to part with it if someone is willing to pay that much." So dumb, right? I have no business sense.

So today when I woke up and saw that my beautiful purple American Tourister hard case luggage set had sold, I was filled with regret. They are so lovely and vintage and girly.
But seriously, where am I going that I need fancy suitcases?
I guess I just feel like my dream of jetsetting to fabulous destinations wearing scarves and giant sunglasses disappears when I send them off to someone else.
I'm assuming it's not good business to just tell her she can't have them, right...?

So off they go in a ginormous box to fulfill some other lucky lady's dreams.

I'll go through the grieving process and hopefully come out stronger and more capable of selling my precious junk.


No comments: