Sunday, June 9, 2013

Coconut Chia Granola

Recently Nature's Path {which makes the most amazingly fantastic pumpkin flax granola} totally upped their game even more and came out with a Coconut Chia Seed granola. We sampled it at Costco a couple of months ago and Mason and I were both completely smitten. Their granolas contain soy flour so I can't eat it now.
I'm adding coconut in this week and I can't wait. It's been a rough life living without coconut. You all know how I feel about it. So I decided to try and concoct a copycat granola sans allergenic ingredients. Beginner's luck turned out the most incredible granola I've ever tasted. I'm of course going to share it with you now. Simply because I'm so excited about how good it is, and because I'm currently eating a bowl as I type. Yum yum.

You will need:
1 1/2 cups whole rolled, gluten free oats
2 T. chia seeds (I get these in bulk at Whole Foods)
3/4 cup raw, unsweetened shredded coconut (also in bulk at Whole Foods)
1/4-1/2 cup raw seeds, I used half pumpkin half sunflower
1/4 cup honey
2 T. coconut oil

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Microwave the honey and coconut oil together for about 20 seconds and stir until it's all combined.
Pour over the dry mixture and stir to combine.
Spread in a thin layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake at 300 degrees for 12-15 minutes, just until lightly toasted. Don't overbake it. The edges should just be barely darkened.
Let cool on the pan.

It's deliciously chewy but with some crunch because of the seeds. To make it even more amazing, eat it with some Silk Unsweetened Coconut Milk on top. That stuff is unreal in the delicious department.

I'm pretty big into granola, another of my favorite granola recipes can be found here at Something Swanky. It's really simple and easy to make, and completely genius. My Aunt Brenda suggested making it with almond butter instead of the peanut butter and it's incredible that way too.

Do you have a favorite granola recipe? Do share!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Heres mine:

3 cups oats
1 cup flour (could use coconut or almond flour)
1/4 to 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup alomnds
Can also add sunflower seeds but I never have them
2/3 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins

Mix dry ingredients. Over stove melt coconut oil and mix in maple syrup and vanilla. Once melted add to dry mixture and stir to combine. Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 15 minutes then take out flip granola and bake another 10. After its out of oven add a cup of raisins or dates and stir a bit to break up pieces. Store in fridge.

I must try yours!

Andrew Bosley said...

So I'm taking a quick break from the chaos of my life to peruse your blog. And wow! Fancy food, homemade furniture, I'm in awe!

Thanks for the amazing dinner! Totally delicious. Will you email me the recipe?

We are going to miss your cute family, but I'm excited to keep up with you guys via your blog! Technology is great!
love,
maren