Sunday, June 2, 2013

There is music in my soul today

Mason has the incredible toddler ability of memorizing just about anything. It's amazing to me what kids this age can learn, and how quickly. We'll read a new book twice and he will be able to finish all the sentences.

He has a particular forte for remembering the lyrics to songs.
At bedtime I sing things like "I Am a Child of God" and "I Love to See the Temple" and his new favorite "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today".
But apparently when daddy puts him to bed, he's getting serenaded with songs like "Rocky Top" and "Dixieland Delight".

He memorizes them with equal accuracy.

We like to sing a line to a song and let him finish the words cause it's really funny and cute, even when it is an Alabama song. So in the car on the way home from dinner last night we were singing "Dixie" as he calls it. And we said the line "Spend my dollar, parked in a...." and expected him to just say "holler".

Instead he busted out with "...holler 'neath the mountain moonlight!"

We couldn't stop laughing, and he had the proudest, goofiest look on his face. It was just shocking how clearly and confidently he said the whole sentence. And to the right tune and everything.

I'm looking forward to many future serenades from our little songster!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

That is adorable : ) It is amazing how quickly kids can memorize things. Love their little sponge brains!

mamagale said...

I'm way behind here in stalking your blog--love all the cute pictures and that Mason is so funny and smart. And I'm not just saying that because he's my grandson :)