Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Can-Can

What you will need:

10 pounds of strawberries




























Massive amounts of sugar















Pectin














Sweet new pressure cooker from your wonderful in-laws














Darling little half pint and pint jars




























Lids and rings















The official Ball Canning Guide Book














A mama to call for advice and encouragement



















A slight head injury to be crazy enough to try canning in the tiniest kitchen ever














A husband to take embarrassing video of you (optional)
Here's the first batch all filled up















Bathtime














And oh the joyful sound of the popping as the lids seal! My mom told me this was like music to her ears, and The Pioneer Woman called it a blessed symphony. I felt like I was in third grade jumping up and down and counting out loud as each one made it's little POP! The sound of provident living success.

The finished product















Say nice things about me and I'll send you some.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

mmmmmmmm that looks delicious! and way to go for doing it! that' a good one to start on, strawberry jam is the best!

Unknown said...

i'm so impressed baby!! i cannot wait to taste it. perhaps you should bring it to our sleepover!! xoxo

Whit said...

well, I was gonna say nice things about you anyway, but since you offered... ;)
Seriously, you are little miss suzie homemaker. I love your headband and cute little ponytail and that you are so AMAZING!

mamagale said...

This warms my mother heart that you are carrying on the tradition! Can't wait to have a taste when we come--tell Austin to save some for us!

Jessa said...

dearest. wish i was there to help lick the pan/pot/excess on the jars.
xoxo

Taffers Dawn said...

Umm...so I'm not saying this just to get jam (but jam is always welcome!) but honestly girl, I miss you so much! I was thinking about you the other day and I just wanted to run down to provo and see you! I love how you are always happy and laughing and trying new things. I admire you for making jam..for reals. Rock on!!!