Monday, May 3, 2010

Napster

All naps are not created equal.
There's so many factors that determine the quality of a nap.
The lighting, the comfort of your clothes, the outside noise, how much time you have to nap, your obligations following the nap, how close the nap is to bedtime, the blankets you are under, what you ate prior to the nap, etc. etc.
All variables taken into account, here is a list of my top 5 best naps ever.

1) The day after my high school graduation and the all night senior party. Nap in my extremely comfortable bed in pajamas and loads of pillows. No time limit for the nap, no outside noise, perfect June weather to have the window open. And the peace of knowing high school was over.

2) Freshman year, I had been sick all week and couldn't find any time to rest because it was midterms and I was working. Saturday early afternoon, done with exams, silent dorm hall, surprisingly comfortable dorm bed, sleeping mask. I slept all that day and through the night, 18 hours total. I recorded that one in my journal cause it was so good.

3) Sophomore year, P2 apartment, Sunday afternoon, Lovesac, A&E Pride and Prejudice on in the background. Enough said.

4) The day we arrived in London and had been awake and traveling for almost 24 hours. We hauled all of our bags to our flat, and Rache and I promised we weren't going to go to sleep so that we could adjust to the time change. We both fell asleep on our paper thin mattresses to a perfect London breeze and lots of London traffic and noise. Perfect beginning to one of the most amazing experiences of our lives.

5) Yesterday evening, 6:30-8:30 pm. Typically too close to bedtime to be a perfect nap, but I haven't been able to catch up on sleep for weeks between work and Sunday meetings/responsibilties. Sweatpants, pitch black bedroom, a weekend full of accomplishments behind me. Blissful rest.


What are the best naps you've ever had?

7 comments:

The Swank Family said...

haha, that P2 one is on my list too!

Whit said...

Oh my gosh, I love this post!
My all-time best nap was my freshman year of high school--we were on block scheduling so each period was two hours and we had three classes each day. I got to my second class of the day at about 10am, put my head on my desk, and fell asleep before the late bell rang. I didn't wake up until the lunch bell rang. When I got up to leave, my geometry teacher asked if I was feeling okay. I said "yep" and walked out the door.

Taffers Dawn said...

Oh goodness I love a good nap! Just reading this made me want to take a nap with the window open and the breeze coming in. Oh heavenly day!

Jessa said...

best post ever.
I remember when you guys slept your lives away in London while I sat on the front steps waiting for the stragglers in my nasty coke-stained clothes. ha ha one of the best experiences of my life as well.
ps napping is so important that I rarely do it for fear of disappointment.

Brittany said...

this post was so great i had to comment. some of the best naps of my life were freshman year, also. especially fast sunday chicken cordon bleu (in hindsight, gross!) and passing out for hours in the dorms. but maybe that's because we stayed up all night and had church at the ungodly hour of 9 am.

Nicole said...

i desperately want an 18 hour nap... that sounds like heaven

Scott said...

Here's a retro nap for you:
I remember at the 833 24th Ave. house, probably 3rd or 4th grade, in the big front room with a large pentagonal swath of sunshine on the carpet from the oversized triangle dormer windows. Post Sunday-nacho feast, I fell asleep on the sun-warmed carpet under that yellow/orange/brown yarn knitted quilt we used to have. No stress, no noise, ideal pre-meal, ideal temperature. I would nap that nap again given the opportunity :-D