Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

I decided that this would be my year for actually writing down and making a plan for keeping some New Year's resolutions. Austin and I set a lot together, and our first one is the most typical of all resolutions--to lose 10 pounds. Everyone says "I'm gonna lose weight" and then they just keep doing whatever they're doing and just act confused about why they're not making their goal.
So we are going to do it in 6 weeks, and do it by more closely following the diet we were given by our homeopathic nutritionist Cecelia.
I've been doing the diet for Mason's sake since the beginning of November, but with the move and the holidays it was really hard to keep it up as strictly as I should have been. Basically it's no dairy, no soy, no gluten. ALL organic-fruits, vegetables, seasonings, everything. Free range chicken and turkey and only grass-fed organic beef.
It's definitely a life adjustment, but I feel amazing when I'm sticking to it. And it doesn't feel at all like deprivation. I get to eat things I never would have when I was dieting before-like peanut butter, nuts, organic potato chips, etc. Eating this way has gotten me 6 pounds under what I weighed when I got pregnant. But as every mother knows, things still aren't the same as before, it's like everything shifted around. I'm pretty sure I will have muffin tops for the rest of my life no matter what I do. =)
Part of my goal is to start exercising on a more regular basis again. I was doing spin class again and I LOVE it, but we decided not to renew our gym membership cause it's so expensive. And it's hard with a 7 month old to find the time/motivation. Any moms have a good suggestion for me? Anything that's worked for you?
I figure writing out my goal on my blog will motivate me to actually stick to it. I'll give some updates on our progress as we embark!
What are you New Year's resolutions for 2012??

4 comments:

THE NOTHUM'S said...

Good for you! I love your resolutions and believe it or not my are very similar...just like everyone else's im sure. Number one is to lose some weight...20lbs to be exact by this summer. Second is run a half marathon this April which I'm hoping will aid in my first resolution. And third journal/write on my blog/document everything that has happened and is going to happen in Henrys life! I'm quite the slacker when it comes to that! Thanks for the motivation Shanna!

Anna said...

Oh man, I am secretly jealous of your diet. It sounds amazing. I love love love "happy meat"- it really does taste better! And you don't feel like crap after eating it.

And yes! Even though I was -10lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight when Rachel was 9mo, it sure didn't look like it! It's depressing.

Anyway, my suggestion for regular exercise is to walk to the library every day. This of course would depend on the distance. The Provo Library is a 40min walk from my house, and I would take Rachel in the stroller every day. Pick a baby-friendly place that you like and walk every day.

I also did the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred work-out video. It's nice because it's only 30min. I would do it at night after I put Rachel to bed. Mason is still young enough that you could do it with him awake- he won't be climbing on top of you or jumping in front of the TV.

Kara Anderson said...

P90X is my new thing! Just started a couple days ago and it's great. It's easy to do at home and you don't need equipment. I'm lovin it! I can't believe you can stick to that diet! What do you cook for dinner? You're amazing. Keep it up.

Unknown said...

okay you have to try jillian michaels 30 day shred, i love it because it's not ridiculousy hard but man it works you. and all you have to have are like 5 lb dumbells although technically you could do all the stuff without it and still tone. i'm on day 8 and i seriously love it! i feel super motivated to do it too because it's short it doesn't take a stinking hour. and its 9 dollars!! all equaling amazing. get it and tell me how you love it!! xoxo baby!!