Friday, January 13, 2012

Two Idahoans and a Baby

I am totally lame. I'm sorry about the complete lack of blogging. Isn't it ironic that when nothing is going on in our lives I write more blogs because I have time, but now that a billion things have happened, I've written nothing at all? This habit coincides nicely with my journal writing, sadly. Which is why New Year's Resolution #7 is NOT to blog more, but to write in my journal more consistently.

Anyway, I have no pictures to post because we do not have a camera cord easily accessible as of late. But I will post later. For now, here's a little update.

We moved to Lewiston, Idaho one week ago. The drive took 16 1/2 hours (10 1/2 at normal speed) because we had the truck hauling the car and had to go super slow. Siara and Tyler are saints and drove up with us so that I wouldn't have to drive alone with the babe. Mason was a little trooper. I think he cried about ten minutes of the entire trip. He slept, played, ate, and enjoyed listening to the Republican debates in New Hampshire with us. We made it safely and were able to unload the truck and unpack a good portion of the house while Siara and Ty were still here. Austin LOVES his job. He works four 10 hour days, so we have 3 day weekends permanently. And his commute is about 3 minutes, so we get to see him for his lunch breaks too. We love the town so far, it's extremely reminiscent of Camas, WA where I grew up--even has a paper mill and a little downtown theater called The Liberty! And thankfully, our townhouse is nice. We were concerned since we decided to rent it based only on pictures and not having seen it in person. We are adjusting well to the area, I haven't cried in 4 days. =) I don't miss Utah, just the people there. Particularly my sissy. I've never lived anywhere that she wasn't there with me. And that's all I'm going to say about that cause I might break my 4 day no crying streak.

Little Mason man is 7 months old now. He weighs 20 pounds even and I'm not sure of his length because I haven't unpacked my sewing box and don't have a measuring tape. =) But he is definitely a chubby, healthy baby. He is starting to crawl, getting on his hands and knees and scooching around. He can make his way all around a room gathering his toys. And as I'm writing this he made his way up to the couch and is currently trying to pull himself up. Uh-oh. Better babyproof ASAP! Our little night owl still doesn't sleep through the night, but it's tolerable. And I just read an article that says that gifted children have a hard time sleeping through the night because they can't "tune out the world that they are so interested in learning about". We'll just pretend that's the case here. It will be my one solace, that possibly I'm mentoring a genius at 4 am every day. He typically only wakes up once, and he has a cold and is teething and we just uprooted everything he was familiar with to move to a new place. So I can see where he's still struggling. He is an absolute delight to play with, he is so curious and interested in everything. He loves books and will pay close attention while he's read to. He LOVES to be sung to still. Anything will do, as long as we sing it really enthusiastically. And he still loves Taylor Swift, she saved us a few times on the drive up. He's eating solids regularly now, his favorites are peas, avocado, potatoes, pears, and bananas. He's not the biggest fan of sweet potatoes and carrots, but we are working on a good variety of veggies so he still gets them in the line up. He has two teeth, the two bottom front, and he likes to chomp your fingers with them. He's babbling more word-like sounds now, and I secretly tell him to say "mama" all day while we're together. =) He is a seasoned little traveler as well. He had been to 6 states by the time he was 6 months old, has been on a plane three times, and one looooong road trip.

Okay that's all for now because we have a huge day ahead of us running errands and finishing setting up the house. I LOVE this new 3 day weekend schedule! We can get so much more done!! Which I'm sure is exactly what Austin is thinking....=)

3 comments:

Anna said...

It took us 13+ months to get Rachel to sleep through the night. That's not supposed to scare you, it's just to say, "You are not alone! I know how it feels!" Hang in there.

I also know what you mean about missing Siara. It's so hard. And Megan is about to go on a mission, and I won't be able to call her whenever I want. :( It sucks.

We are planning on buying a house that has an apartment attached somewhere so that Megan can live with us. No joke. :)

keatseatsblog said...

Happy you made it there all safe and sound! Let's have a phone date when you have more time!

Jessica said...

Hey Shanna, it's Jessica Wall, I found the link to your blog on Facebook today and had to come read your birth story. I loved that you had it natural and at a birthing center. I have a lot of reservations about giving birth in a hospital, being induced, etc. when I'm pregnant so I love reading positive stories about other ways to have a baby than just in a hospital. So thanks for posting!

It was so fun to run into you in the University Mall a couple of months ago, and I'm glad I got to see you before we both moved out of Provo. I hope you're enjoying Idaho and maybe someday our paths will cross again! In the meantime I'll have to check back on your blog for updates!