Friday, October 24, 2008

Needlestick

I'm just starting my official application for Nursing school, and I hope to start in January. So I naively went online to print off what I thought would be a two page application that I would mail in with a BYU transcript. Little did I know.....here is the massive list of all the things I have to do just to GET IN to the school.

1. Application checklist

2.Official application to the Nursing program
3. Copy of High School Diploma

4. Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended, mailed in sealed envelopes

5. Proof of medical/healthcare employment on company letterhead from the human resources department stating: name, job title and duties, start and end dates of employment

6. Three professional references from people who have worked with you as a supervisor, manager, leader, or teacher. References must completely official Nursing Program Reference form.

7. Provide a copy of your current Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) certification or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), or renewal letter. The expiration date must be visible.

8. Provide a copy of your current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification. The expiration date must be visible. Your CPR certification must include basic life support (BLS) and must be accepted by the American Heart Association.

9. Personal essay: Type a three to five page essay with 1” margins, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font. Your essay must answer the following four questions: 1) What has motivated you to seek a career in nursing? 2) What are your future career goals? 3) What are your educational objectives? 4) How can you ensure you will successfully complete the nursing program? Submit two copies of your essay.

10. Medical Documentation: Obtain records from your medical provider, State Health Department or Employer. and provide a copy of your current immunization documentation for the following:
Tuberculosis (TB)- Must be repeated on an annual basis
Diptheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DPT)
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) Booster/Titer in adult years
Hepatitis B 3 part series
Hepatitis A 2 part series

11. Provide a copy of your official Criminal Background Check .


All of this, PLUS I have to take a placement test, PLUS I have to have it all submitted within two weeks of taking that placement test. And that's just the beginning of about two very rigorous years of nursing classes and internships. And after all of the schooling, I still have to pass the NCLEX-RN to nationally certify as a Registered Nurse. I guess it takes a lot of work to get your dream job, right? Too bad I didn't figure this all out when I was going to BYU for three and a half years....

So I'm off to get all my shots today. I'll have to endure a total of 9 needle sticks just to get me on the way to a new career. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Jessa said...

shanna baby.
who knew it took so much to be a nurse, but I'm glad they do it. Nurses are the only comfortingthing about hospitals. You'll be so good at it. I'm excited for you, but sad you have to work so hard to get in. I guess thats how they weed everyone out! Yay!

can we play soon? I miss your face.

Unknown said...

you will be an amazing nurse! when i have kids i'll bring them all the way to nc for their checkups so you can take care of them! good luck with everything but i know you'll be great! i just wish you didn't have to have so many stinking shots!

Shayla said...

Hey shanna you know i want to be a doctor right
the basic requirements for that are a GPA of 3.5 and up
course work of either
General biology
Physics with lab
General chemistry (inorganic chemistry) with lab
Organic chemistry with lab
Calculus or
English
and you've got to take the MCAT(and do well)have 4 years of college, volunteer work and some sort of medical experience just to get into med school then 4 years of med school then another 1year internship THEN a 2-7 year residency not to mention the outrageous cost.(i'm saving now)
but I really hope you get to go to nursing school you're like the perfect nurse! :)

Sarah said...

(When I was like 12 I was a "candystriper" volunteer and really enjoyed it. After the 2nd time though they said the next week we had to get TB shots...and that marked the end of my hospital volunteering haha. I never went back, but wished I had later.) YOU CAN DO IT! Good Luck! It'll be worth it in the end!