Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Strait and Narrow

I've been having a lot of pressure in between my eyes and sinuses and in my head lately. The convenience of such symptoms is that I can have them diagnosed at work! So I had Marcy give me a Maxiofacial CT scan. Fortunately, the images don't show any sinusitis. But what they did reveal is what the doctor that read my scan referred to as "a massive deviated septum". Followed by the question, "can you breathe okay?!" Of course I said yes, but maybe I just don't know anything different!! So for your diagnostic imaging lesson of the day, here are a few films of my crooked nose.
















If you look at the two sections where the swirly things are in the middle, those are the two sides of my nasal cavity. Just note that the cavity on the left is much bigger than the one on the right.

















Here's where you can see the actual septum. It's that line that's running right down the middle of my nasal cavity.














Here's what that line is supposed to look like, straight up and down, with equal cavities on each side.
And here's what MINE does...













Surgery anyone?
I guess we'll see.

2 comments:

Taffers Dawn said...

Dang girl! I had no idea! So are you going to get it fixed?

Unknown said...

dear shanna.
i hope your septum is doing okay. and i just wanted to say i love you, because if anything it is always nice to hear right? remember when i ate so much freaking pizza at your house....