Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another London Day

My mom sent me an email today with a link to a blog that a professor who goes on London study abroad each year writes. He takes the UVU Theater group to London, Paris, and Scotland. Reading someone else's experiences there made me miss London extra double time today. Exactly two years ago I was spending my last week there, and I can't believe that the little heartache I get thinking about it has lasted this long. The quote at the top of his blog is by Henry James (whom I adore!) and says:

"It is difficult to speak adequately, or justly, of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent."


And that is really the only word for it: magnificent. It's dirty, smelly, crowded, obnoxious, chaotic, and a little depressing in some places. It makes you feel like the smallest, most insignificant person in the world most of the time. But there are these other exceptional and rare moments. Like sitting in the park when it's very early, the sun just about to come up, the air is cold and everything is uncharacteristically quiet. And you feel like it's all there just for you. The entire city and everything it has to offer is laid out just because you're there. And that's what makes London so magnificent. It works its way into your heart, and once you really experience it, you know you will never, ever be the same.

4 comments:

mamagale said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the blog--and I'm glad 'you'll always have London'!

Julie said...

I have never been to London but I know about the feeling of which you speak! I think everyone needs a place that makes their heart smile.

Jessa said...

I couldn't have described London better myself. It really is just that magnificent and it will always hold the most special place in my heart. There's something about it that makes me smile uncontrolably. I also love London because its where our friendship began to blossom and I love that too.

ps can you really believe its been 2 years. wow. feels like yesterday.

Unknown said...

oh baby this makes me want to cry my eyes out...i always miss london but more than ever i miss you!xo