Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fireflies, Bojangles, and wonderful in-laws

It's always been a funny story to tell that Austin's mom, while he was on his mission in California, would overnight him food from Bojangles, the coveted and famous fried chicken restaurant only found in the South. So the last week or so, all we can think about is Bojangles. It's probably because we haven't been eating out at all for about a month. But it's also because they truly have the most delicious biscuits and chicken strips and honey mustard in the entire WORLD. So Ann called Austin yesterday to inform him that an overnight package would be arriving sometime Thursday...filled with Bojangles! Ingeniously frozen and packaged and ready for us to bake up and enjoy. And as if that weren't enough, this morning I got this email from Ann, addressing my long-standing desire to see fireflies, because I never have in my whole life! (My obsession with them began when I read Bernstein Bears books, and I'm still waiting for this life-changing experience to happen for me.)

Ann, I hope you won't mind me copying this into my blog!!

"Hey Shanna,
I just had to let you know about Terry's valiant yet unsuccessful efforts to send you some lightning bugs. He got the brilliant idea to send them along with the over night package we are sending out today. He found a band-aid box and poked holes in it and then placed some grass down inside the box. So, last night we got home and we could see lightning bugs everywhere. It was beautiful. After about 10 minutes, I went outside to see how things were going. He was in the front yard and suddenly he jumped up and caught one mid air. He placed it inside the box, or so he thought. It was on the tip of his finger and flew away. The only lightning bug he was able to get in the box was one he had found entangled in a spider's web. It died!!! So, the hunt continued and would you believe that we could not see any more lightning bugs? Remember, just a while earlier, they were everywhere. So, I'm sorry to report that your wait to see a lightning bug will have to continue yet a while longer!! But alas, Terry was able to re-live a childhood memory. It was fun!!!!!"


The thought of Terry running around the yard trying to catch some lightning bugs for me cracks me up and warms my heart at the same time!! It's funny how something so silly can make you feel so very loved! =)

4 comments:

Julie said...

Shanna, that is the sweetest thing ever! I'm getting all teary eyed (not that that's much of a feat) how amazing! I love fireflies. This story makes me think of my friend Kent. He came and visited me for my H.S. graduation in OK and I found him one evening, a 19 year old quarterback, in my backyard just enthralled and giggly like a little boy over the miraculous 'lightning bugs.' I've always loved those bugs. I hope you get to see some soon!

mamagale said...

Shanna you have such wonderful in-laws! I hope you thank your lucky stars every day. And Austin's not too bad either :)

Jessa said...

i hope i have inlaws as wonderful as you! Thats so sweet and yet so funny. I can't wait to play uno with them!!! and eat Bojangles.

Sarah said...

That is so funny. Ann and Terry are the best haha.