Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Metal Mouth

One of the most traumatizing days of my life was December 9, 1999. This was the day I got my braces put on. It was purely for "cosmetic" reasons, and I swore I'd never speak to my mother again when she told me I would have to get them. Her reasoning was, "I don't want to have all of us sitting around talking in 10 years, and you get mad because you're the only one who didn't get braces". So I sat cooperatively through the spacers, impressions, gluing, bracketing, and wiring as the orthodontist filled my mouth with shrapnel.

For one year and 9 days I suffered. Lunch time was a daily humiliation--it's impossible to keep them clean. Flossing and brushing were ten times the work, trying to weave in and out of all that metal. This part I did religiously, because of the fear that was struck into my heart that I would have my braces taken off, only to reveal little white squares surrounded by the yellow evidence of uncared for teeth. I was pitiful during these times. Every visit to the orthodontist was filled with ridiculous hope that THIS would be the day I got them taken off.

Finally that blessed appointment came. December 18, 2000. I still remember when he said, "Okay, we're ready for removal". I could have cried, done a dance, and hugged everyone in sight all at the same time. Even the horrible cracking, twisting, and scraping couldn't dampen my mood. That first glimpse in the mirror of my perfect, straight teeth was unprecedented. No calcium spots. No little white squares. No yellow tinge. Returning to school was like winning a beauty pageant. I couldn't stop smiling. Even when Clay Myers told me that my teeth looked like "Chiclets gum". I knew I would never regret having those braces, because this was all worth it. Of course my mother had been right.

Fast forward 8 years.

Even though I was instructed to wear my retainers every night until the age of 25, I took my straight teeth for granted. Last night I tried to put on my bottom retainer for the first time in months. And for the first time ever, it just popped right back off. My horrendous teeth had gone crooked again. Not ready to admit defeat, I CRAMMED that thing on, took 800mg of Ibuprofen, and went to bed.

I woke up this morning feeling like I had all of my teeth wrenched loose during the night. My entire jaw hurts, and all of my teeth ache from the inside out. But....they are straight! Overnight repair. So I'm wearing my retainer all day to make sure that they don't have the opportunity to fall back to their more comfortable, crooked arrangement. And I will wear both retainers FOREVER!! I didn't go through 8th grade with a metal mouth for no reason.

So to my little sister Shayla, who just got her braces off and is feeling the ecstasy of smooth, straight teeth, WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!!!!!

It is so worth it.

3 comments:

The Coons Family said...

You are complaining about ONE year!!! Try having braces TWICE.... in 5th grade and again in 8th until 22 days before my 16th birthday!!!! Not to mention I had a "JJ" which basically means that I have a metal contraption in addition to the braces in my mouth, the width of a pencil eraser that made my cheeks POP out IN high school AND Headgear that was so tight I had "Headgear" head when I woke up that was not so easy to get out. (this was before the days of the CHI straightner)

Yes you could say I was a brace face. The best part was when I had braces, a broken arm and glasses. Talk about one nerd!! I am so grateful for my straight teeth, and every time I get a compliment I am thankful I went through all the heartache. I think my mom dreaded orhto appointments more then me because each and every time I cried because they didn't come off. Great post, brought back some memories.

mamagale said...

Ahhh, the little moments of Mom Redemption. We really don't torture our children for no reason! You know you have gorgeous teeth--dentists always comment on your smile.

Scott said...

Shayla, some better advice. A life time of wearing a retainer does NOT justify any loss suffered over the course of a year of braces. I haven't worn my retainer since I was 15 (10 years) and my teeth are still about 65% of their perfect straightness! That's a great percentage, and it adds character. Plus Nicole had braces for 4 years. Sorry Shanna.