Friday, May 1, 2009

Never too old for that

I inherited my mother's tendency to cry about everything. No seriously, everything. Commercials, game shows, cartoons, just about anything in church. And lately I find myself tearing up at work more often than usual. Most of my day here is spent running around, stressed out and never slowing down. But today one of our patients, a younger man, came in with his daughter who was only about four. He was the one being seen, and as I seated him in the room, she climbed up on his lap and said "Don't worry Dad, I'll hold your hand". I put the blood pressure cuff on his arm, and she got a very serious look on her face as she took his hand in both of her little ones. I had to turn and just look at the computer to keep from crying right there. I think we could all use a little bit of that sometimes. Someone who doesn't care if we have legitimate reason to be scared, but just wants us to know that no matter what, they will hold our hand and we will be okay.

2 comments:

Jessa said...

i wish i had had someone there with me today at the doctor's office. it was scary going alone and when i wasn't sure what to say, i had no one to comfort me. when i left, i cried because all i really wanted was to feel better.

you're going to be an amazing mother, Shanna.

i love you.

Unknown said...

that is so cute and totally reminds me of gabby...just tonight i went for a walk with her around the park she was riding her bike and i was riding a scooter she looked up at me and said i love you.
little kids really are the best things ever, wish i could be more like them all the time...continual love.
xoxo