Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Favorite Things: Gale Family Brownies

There is no better Sunday night Family Home Evening treat than Gale family brownies. We've been making these since we were old enough to climb on a chair and hold a mixing spoon. The page in the original recipe book is completely covered with brown batter. I made some Sunday for family dinner at the Christensen's.


































Just try and not lick that bowl...it's impossible. Yummm.















And I suppose I can share the secret recipe. For anyone who has never tried homemade brownies, or thinks they only come from a box (like my darling Ashton =), these are the easiest thing you will ever make.

Gale Family Favorite Brownies
1 cup butter
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 t. vanilla

Beat butter, cocoa, sugar and eggs until fluffy. Beat in flour and vanilla. Pour into 9x11 pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
You can add walnuts or chopped caramels or chocolate chips or even put marshmallows on top before you bake it. We always particularly enjoyed them with powdered sugar on top.

5 comments:

mamagale said...

Love those brownies! They are from the old Washougal Ward "Kissin Wears Out, Cookin Don't" cookbook :)

Anna said...

Now THAT'S a name!

Nicole said...

thanks for the recipe... i always forget to ask for it!

The Swank Family said...

haha. I'm pretty sure we skipped class for you to teach me how to make brownies. Like it was a matter of the utmost importance that I learned RIGHT AWAY. ...which it was :)

The Coons Family said...

Holy Yumminess. I just made these. Unfortunately the brownies weren't that plentiful because I ate most of the batter. Oops!

I have made homemade brownies in the past, but this recipe takes the cake. Thanks!!