Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Broom is the New Shovel

I grew up in Washington. When it's winter you wake up to rain 95% of the time. Now in Utah, it's always snow. Then it's slush from all the cars driving on it. Then it's ice because the slush freezes in the nighttime temperatures of approximately 8 degrees. Normally it's not that big of a deal, it's just something you learn to cope with. But today was particularly horrible.

First, I did not want to get out of bed. I was so warm and toasty. Then I got ready and left my house with time to get to work on a normal day. The worst part about the snow is that you never expect it. You'd think with how often it dumps on us here it would lose its element of surprise. On the contrary, I opened the door to about 7 inches of snow. The only way to get 50 pounds of snow off of my car? A broom.

After I had dumped all the debris off, I realized that I had buried my car in the offspray. The broom then became a shovel. Try digging a Corolla out of three feet of snow with household cleaning supplies.

After 30 minutes of archaeological digging (you know, like when they dust something off for three months with those little brushes before you can even tell what it is) I was ready to go. The drive to work then preceded to take me just short of one hour. Erin, the darling I work with, informed me that she was cut off multiple times on the way in, and spent ten minutes working her baby car out of a snow bank after a mother in a minivan pulled out of the elementary school parking lot, pulled right in front of her without even hesitating. I could have told you that exact demographic would be the most likely to do such a thing.

I count down the days to when I will be able to move to North Carolina with my BFF and soon-to-be husband.

No comments: