Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Take a risk....take a chance....make a change

Props to the always beautiful and talented Kelly Clarkson for giving us those inspirational lyrics. Seriously though, as much as I love Kelly, this is not a blog about her. Erin and I were having a conversation today about how we felt really unqualified for our jobs when we applied here and were hired. When I saw the posting for this job it was Copy Writer/Editor and Executive Administrator with bookkeeping responsibilities, writing talent, and an entrepreneurial attitude. I took a risk in even sending my resume, got an interview, got a second interview, and was offered the job. What's so amazing about it is that because I chose a job that I am not sure what to do 100% of the time, I have learned so much more than if I had accepted something comfortably within my qualifications. At this job I have learned how to take care of the finances for five companies, dealing with hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am so much more qualified now because I chose something a little bit scary, and allowed myself to grow into it.

The same thing happened when I decided to leave my entire life behind here and go on my study abroad trip to London. I signed up barely more than three weeks before we were leaving; I didn't even have the chance to second guess my decision. In no time I was on a plane. Twenty years old, and completely alone. I didn't know a single person in my group. I had no idea where we were living or what it was going to be like. Even when we all got there, I could have moped around and missed home and spent all day writing emails. But I got completely lost in London. It changed my life. It changed who I am. So far in my twenty years of living, it has been the most formative experience I have ever had. To borrow Erin's phrase, it feels like someone has punched me in the heart every time I think about London. Six weeks seemed so long before I went. But as the plane home took off from Heathrow airport, as I watched the city get smaller and smaller below me, I cried. I knew I would never be the same again. And I know still that I will never love a place as much I loved London.

So what have I learned? Always take a risk. If it feels right, just do it. It's smart to have a plan, but you have to have heart too. You have to follow your feelings. Even now, Austin and I are looking into buying a house instead of renting for the rest of the time we're in Utah. We NEVER would have thought it possible for us, at 21 and 24, to buy a home. But because we've decided to take a chance and look into it, we've discovered that it's more than just possible, it's the best decision for us by far. There's still risks, and a lot of things we need to learn and follow through with. But I'm so much more willing to do that, knowing that the other times I have taken huge risks I have ended up finding out something amazing about myself. And I've found out that I can do way more than I ever could have known.

So just do it. Quit your boring stupid job and do something you really love, even if it pays less. Change your major to what you've always wanted to do. Save up some money and travel to a country you've always dreamed of seeing. Stop being so scared to leave your familiarities behind. It will likely end up being the best experience you've ever had.

No comments: