Friday, March 6, 2009

4) Fresh Baked Bread

My mom used to tell us about how her mom would bake homemade bread every Saturday night so they would have it for the week. The entire house would smell delicious as they went to bed. And every once in a while if she snuck downstairs, her mom would give her the heel of a loaf as a treat. I think it would be so wonderful to be able to get into a routine of doing that every week. There's nothing more delicious than toast made with homemade bread and fresh jam. The problem I always have with homemade bread is that it can end up tasting too much like yeast, and seem kind of bland. But last night I cracked open one of the thirty cookbooks we were given for the wedding, and found what turned out to be the most delicious homemade bread recipe I've had. It's a basic recipe for white bread that can be used for anything, and you can substitute whole wheat flour in it as well. They had all these different design ideas and toppings and glazes. I made these adorable spiral rolls, some with sesame seeds on top. They were delicious! I think I'll work on perfecting this recipe in my little kitchen over the next few months.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you still need to teach me how to make cupcakes. play date a.s.a.p.
xoxo

Brittany said...

Shanna, I am loving reading all your great grown-up ideas! I have loved that baby food maker for ages! it just seems so fun to make baby food from scratch! can't wait to see your other ideas