Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Gift of Time

I have a watch. I love this watch. My dad bought it for me in Switzerland when my parents took me on a Senior trip when I was 17 years old. I have only had to change the battery once 3 years ago, and other than that, it's still like new.
It has been with me for almost 8 years.
It traveled with us through Italy.
It walked across the stage with me at High School Graduation.
It got me to classes on time at BYU.
It came with me on study abroad to London.
It timed thousands of patients' pulses and respirations at Peak ENT for 3 1/2 years.
This watch has been a very influential part of my life. Like Harold Crick in Stranger Than Fiction.

Problem is, Mason loves this watch too. Whenever I wear it he hooks his little baby fingers under the band and crams it into his mouth, constantly rendering my left arm useless. This was the exact scenario on Tuesday as we walked into Costco. It was pouring rain and I couldn't get my card out to show the lady at the front. Amidst the chaos I made the fatal mistake of slipping off the watch and giving it to Mason, and of course I completely forgot about it. Until last night when I realized that I didn't have it. And that I didn't remember taking it from him again in Costco. And I couldn't find it anywhere in my purse, the diaper bag, or the Jeep.
And because it's me, I started to cry.
I didn't realize how much I loved this watch until I realized it was gone.

I told Austin it was karma for the time when I was a baby and my mom had my dad's wedding ring in her purse and I threw it out at the grocery store.

My mama taught me well though. I did what 7 year old Shanna did when I lost my CTR ring, and I prayed and prayed that I would find this watch. Yes, it's just a watch. But I know that Heavenly Father knows how much little things like this can mean to us.

I called Costco this morning and they had it in lost and found.

I'm grateful for my dad who bought me this watch that I love so much.
I'm grateful for my mom who taught me to have faith and pray when I need anything.
I'm grateful for Heavenly Father and his tender mercies.
I'm grateful for Mason, who means more to me than a watch ever will.
Nonetheless, no more playing with watches in the Keaton house.

4 comments:

keatseatsblog said...

Glad you found it!

That's funny, by the way. About getting to classes on time.

Or at all :)

breadncheeseplease.com said...

So glad you found it! I swear getting into Costco with a toddler is so stressful! There are always people pushing from behind and I can never get my card out fast enough.

mamagale said...

How wonderful that an honest stranger turned it in to the lost and found! How quickly time flies--it was just yesterday that you were sitting in the grocery cart :)

Kara Anderson said...

So glad you have your watch back! Costco makes you do crazy things when you have a fussy baby. Been there.