Saturday, March 17, 2012

Outlaw

I had my first run in with the Lewiston law. I got pulled over yesterday. For the first time in five years.
It was one of those really frustrating situations where I was actually consciously going the speed that I last saw posted. And he pulled me over in a school zone, after I had very deliberately slowed down to 20 MPH when I saw the flashing lights. I like kids. I don't speed where they're walking. Apparently there was ANOTHER school zone three blocks back that does not have flashing lights, that I was doing 35 MPH in.
I explained to him that I was new to the area, the last sign I saw was 35, and that I obviously don't speed in school zones because when he pulled me I was doing 20.
Then he asks me for my license, registration, and insurance card. What? Insurance card? I have never been asked to give my insurance card. Is that something new, or just Idaho?
We usually have it with us regardless, but again, we just moved here. We switched to a local agency and just barely got our cards in the mail a couple of days ago, and I haven't gotten them in the car yet. Plus I was driving the Corolla, which Austin usually drives. So nothing was easy to find and I was so flustered.
He was sort of nice to me and didn't cite me for being in a school zone, saving me $150, and from having to appear in front of a judge. But he gave me a regular speeding ticket. And he had to cite me for not having my insurance card. He said that when I go to pay my ticket I can bring my card and they'll waive that portion of it.
Then he said, "Welcome to Lewiston, thanks for wearing your seat belt."
As I drove away I said, "Thanks for not noticing my expired tags."

=)

1 comment:

Jessa said...

best story ever.
xo