Friday, March 30, 2012

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts

We have been starting to cook with coconut oil after reading about its many, many health benefits (you can read about them here). And after my mom and brother/sister-in-law sharing their great experiences with it.
Tonight we had popcorn with coconut oil and sprinkled with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and a little bit of organic cane sugar. It was the most absolutely delicious thing I think we have ever eaten. It was so good I didn't even think to take a picture of it before it was all gone. I'm thinking this will become a regular thing in our house though, so I'll post a picture next time! I highly recommend it.
And I highly recommend the general switch to coconut oil. It can be used to replace butter and oil in a 1:1 ratio in pretty much any recipe. The flavor of it isn't strong enough to really effect the taste of most things.
AND you can use it as a beauty product. It's the most easily absorbed oil by skin and hair because of its chemical make up, and it feels amazing as a facial moisturizer.
The only downside is that it can be expensive. We bought ours on Amazon and used the "Subscribe & Save" and Amazon Mom Free Prime Shipping discounts. That made it about half the cost of buying it at our local grocery store. I love Amazon. I might have an unhealthy obsession with it actually. But that's a topic for a different post...

4 comments:

keatseatsblog said...

I love using coconut oil! You can buy it at Walmart!! (And if the BV walmart has it, it's got to be at others!!)

Nicole said...

Teach me your amazon skills! I am so behind!

MeganandClaudy said...

it's one of the few things that actually help Carter and Claudy's eczema. Great stuff!

Kara Anderson said...

Coconut Oil is the BEST. I've got to figure out how to buy it on amazon. I've been paying way too much all these years!