Sunday, April 15, 2012

Before and After

My favorite parenting/baby/mommy blog to read is Babble.com. Forget, BabyCenter! This is what I read all through my pregnancy. The writers are so honest about what being a parent is like, and I always find advice and insights that are actually useful and always inspiring.
Link
Today I read this list: 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be A Happy Parent.

This comes in the wake of numerous articles and blogs all over the internet about the pressures that we feel as young moms to be absolutely perfect because of what we see of others' lives portrayed on Pinterest and Facebook and Blogs. I loved this because it's realistic. And I know I have felt some guilt or mourning at having to give up each of these things. (except #13).

Go here for the full description of each item.

Here's the list they gave.

1) Personal space.
2) Being alone in the bathroom.
3) Free time.
4) Caring what other people think.
5) Vanity.
6) Ego. (thinking your kids are the best at everything)
7) Staying on schedule.
8) Control over your house.
9) Disposable income.
10) Peace of mind.
11) Defining sanity as you now know it.
12) Sleeping. (Can I get an AMEN?!)
13) Smoking. (Yuck. People should give that up anyway.)
14) Not exercising.
15) Being less careful.

What other things have you given up to be a mama?

4 comments:

keatseatsblog said...

Babble.com is one of the best foodie sites too! Love it :)

Anna said...

Having your body be your own.

Spontaneity.

Late night IHOP runs.

Late night movie nights.

TV.

Kathi said...

Unfortunately nothing yet but when the blessed time comes I'll let you know! haha

mamagale said...

Never touching another human's poop. But it was ALL worth it!
(I was reading this with Sam and said this jokingly--he insisted that it should be posted...)