Friday, April 27, 2012

I think this is what happens when you pay your tithing

A couple of years ago I achieved the impossible and found the perfect pair of jeans. They were made even more perfect because I purchased them with a Nordstrom gift card that I was generously given for Christmas from the doctors at my work. They were Citizens of Humanity Ava style. Perfect wash, perfect fit, perfectly soft and comfortable denim, perfect slightly higher rise, perfect skinniness in the legs. They looked amazing with boots, flats, or heels.

I wore them literally to death. I wore them until I was 24 weeks pregnant, stretching them until they were completely threadbare. When they finally fell apart, I patched and sewed and dyed and tried every other method of denim resuscitation known to man. I finally had to retire them. I haven't had the heart to throw them away and every time I open my bottom dresser drawer I look at them longingly as I pull out another intact yet still inferior pair of jeans to wear instead, and breathe out a sigh of longing. Why don't I just get another pair, you ask? They were $180. A truly unjustifiable cost for jeans, even perfect ones.

And then today, the Saint of Fashion and Retail saw fit to bless me.

As previously posted, I've been obsessed with shopping at Goodwill. I was there again today because it's Austin's day off and I could go sans baby. I had already found several fantastic things and was leaving quite satisfied when I figured I'd take a look at the jeans. I've been needing a new pair of skinny jeans and I look everywhere I go, why not here? In a few minutes I found a super cute pair of Forever 21 jeans for $3.99. They are surprisingly cute and fit perfectly. I was heading to check out when a little voice said "just one more look around". I started perusing the jeans one more time, swiftly pushing aside some rather terrible 1990's versions of Gap, Lee, and Wrangler jeans.
Then suddenly...there they were.

I almost missed them, but the tiny C.O.H. label caught my eye. My heart said "no way" but my eyes screamed "YES WAY!!!!!!"  Ava style, dark wash, barely worn and in.my.size.
Surely someone here had to know the value of these, they had to be $40 or $50 at least, which I easily would have paid.  I took a deep breath of hope and flipped the tag over.

$3.99. Three dollars and ninety nine cents. THREE DOLLARS AND NINETY NINE CENTS!!!!

I was laughing out loud and practically giddy skipping to the front. I figured I needed to get out of there with them ASAP before someone stopped me for practically stealing these jeans.
I was trying not to laugh maniacally as the cashier rung up my other now meaningless items that I had found. She picked up the jeans, looked at the tag and paused. I was terrified. I knew it was too good to be true.  Then she looked up at me and said....

"Oh red tags are half off today, these are only $1.99."

I played all casual and said "Oh what a nice surprise!"  But really, my head almost exploded. That is literally 99.9% off.

I hate to say that a piece of clothing could make me this happy, but I have literally been floating on air all day. {while wearing the perfect pair of jeans, of course}

And while my other steals now pale in comparison, I did get some seriously awesome other deals in addition to my two pairs of jeans, including:
a gorgeous scarf
a darling silk skirt
a tweed blazer
a striped button down shirt
a sun hat
a vintage baby girl sweater
My total for the day was $23.
Oh the bliss of being oh so cheap.


1 comment:

Nicole said...

While reading this i was seriously so excited! That's so awesome! It sounds like you have the perfect goodwill, whenever we come visit, a shopping trip will be one of my demands!