Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beautiful Truth

I teach the 8 and 9 year olds in Primary. It is the most fun I have had in a calling. They are so sweet and sincere and so open to learning.
Today was of course the Easter lesson, and we were talking about when we will be back in our bodies and we'll see Christ. We read the scripture about standing before him to be judged and having "a full recollection of all our guilt". I asked them about some things that they do that they know are wrong and got answers like "annoy my brother", "refuse to clean my room", and my favorite, "be ornery".
So I asked how they would feel seeing Jesus and remembering all of those things that they had done that they knew weren't right. The funniest little girl in my class said "Oh man, nervous. I'd be so nervous."
I taught them that because Jesus died for each one of us, we can repent and won't have to be "nervous" about seeing Him and Heavenly Father, that we can be forgiven of all our sins. I said it pretty matter of factly and was just going to move onto the next part of the lesson. But another sweet little girl who is usually really quiet interrupted me with, "That is so nice. That is the nicest thing I've ever heard. He must love me so much. That just makes me so happy. I'm so happy He would do that."
It was like she was hearing this for the first time, and that she really understood what great news this is. And I got really excited about her excitement and almost shouted "Yes!! It is so nice! He does love you so much!!" It was one of those really rewarding moments that I imagine I'll get to have as a Mom too. Like I was just so ecstatic that she really understood.
And it reminded me that I should feel that way about this every day. That this is really the most wonderful news that anyone can ever hear--that we have a Savior who loves us so much that he died to redeem us from our sins.
I'm so grateful to teach these darling children, and have them remind me how wonderful the gospel really is.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter, and that your heart is full of joy because of the good news of the resurrection. We are so blessed to know this beautiful truth.

1 comment:

Anna said...

"That is the nicest thing I've ever heard."

What a little cutie!!

Don't you just love kids?! I love hearing the things they think of. One of the Top 3 reasons I love being a mom.